Rogersville was settled in 1775 and is the second oldest town in Tennessee. It is the home to the state’s first newspaper that was published in 1791. Rogersville is the county seat of Hawkins County. The entire downtown are and most of the adjacent neighborhoods are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Bulls Gap was settled in 1794. The town was named for the famous gunsmith, John Bull, who made his home in the gap of the mountains. The downtown area is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Church Hill, TN was incorporated in 1958 and is the largest of the five incorporated towns of Hawkins County. The city was named for the First United Methodist Church, or the “church on the hill” overlooking the Holston River Valley. The church still stands today on Grandview Street.
Mount Carmel was incorporated in 1961. The town derives its name from the Mount Carmel Methodist Church. Mount Carmel was once recognized as the only town in the United States to be totally on one side of the road.
Surgoinsville was chartered in 1815 and named for James Surguine. The town is home to the second-largest industrial park in Northeast Tennessee, the Phipps Bend Industrial Park.
Mooresburg was settled in 1769 by Major Hugh G Moore. Never incorporated, Mooresburg receives services from Hawkins County and Rogersville.